When the governor of the Cape gave John Osmond ownership of Cape Point’s Buffelsvlei and Uitershoek farms in 1816, he did so on one strict condition. At the time, there was some debate around access to roads that crossed the farms of Cape Point. But if the land was to be given to Osmond for his own private use, the governor insisted that Osmond allow the authorities access to a suitable location on his land where a lighthouse could be built. The site identified for the lighthouse was Cape Point Peak, at 238m above sea level the highest point at Cape Point. Construction began in 1850.